Sunday 26 July 2015

THE LAST RENDEZVOUS



Dearly Beloved,
Thanks for honouring this meeting
You don’t need to wear that frown
Here, I bought you a beer
You don’t need to check your watch
I promise, it will be brief
I brought you your heart’s desire
On a golden platter

Today, I’m walking away
To a place our paths might never meet
With these thoughts eating me up:
That to you, I’m never good enough
I probably might never be
In this world and in the one to come
But I still hold those cherished memories
Of our meetings on the shores

I have your pictures in my album
I will flip through them everyday
I have your number on my phone
I will delete it after here
Will that even be necessary?
I know those digits off head
I will be tempted to call
But I promise I won’t

Today, I’m walking away
And it’s clear you are not bothered
Have you even checked today’s date?
It’s our 10th wedding anniversary
For better or worse, you said?
Well, here are the keys
The keys to the car parked there
A promise I made on our wedding night
Do me the honours
Make me a keeper of my word

And one last favour:
Tell me where I went wrong
What did he say that I never said?

Dearly Beloved,
What’s that mark on your face?
He’s abusing you already?
Why do you have tears in your eyes?
Oh no! Don’t let them fall
Did you just say you still love me?
Should I believe you?

Well, this meeting is one of farewell
Not one of opening dead wounds
I wish you well dear
But against all odds,
Today I walk away
And I walk away smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment